The course of change and development of the history
1. “Taiwan Electric Testing Institute” was established in 1947. The main duties were the repair tests of electric parts, general electric tests, and maintenance and testing of the chopper radio and other communication and remote equipment.
2. In 1950, “Taiwan High Voltage Research Institute” was established. The main duties were mechanical & electrical technologies and equipment studies, the operation of electronic computer and chemical analysis of material.
3. In 1964, TPC removed the chemical analysis of the material from "Taiwan High Voltage Research Institute", and established "Taiwan Chemical Testing Institute" to conduct the inspections of equipment, fuel, oil, water, and other researches related to chemistry.
4. In 1968, “Taiwan High-Voltage Research Institute” and “Taiwan Chemical Testing Institute" consolidated into “Taiwan Electric Power Research Institute”. “Taiwan Electric Power Research Institute” not only took over the previous duties, but also increased the research of power equipment and power systems, the planning and improvement of TPC’s R&D activities, introduction of new technologies, review of R&D achievement, the collection of electric research data, etc.
5. In 1980, “Taiwan Electric Power Research Institute” built the Shulin Research and Testing Field for conducting the research and testing activities of EHV and “Taiwan Electric Research & Testing Center”.
6. In 1986, “Taiwan Electric Power Research Institute” and “Taiwan Research and Development of Science Committee” consolidated into ”Electric Power Combined Research Institute” because TPC’s strategy about strengthening the application and management of electric technology’s R&D. The routine tests of oil, chemistry and high voltage were moved to “Taiwan Electric Testing Institute”, which was also renamed as “Taiwan Testing Institute”.
7. In 1995, TPC announced “Taiwan Electric Power Combined Research Institute” to public, the head of the institute reported directly to TPC’s President.
8. In 2001, “Taiwan Electric Power Combined Research Institute” and “Taiwan Testing Institute” consolidated into “Taiwan Power Research Institute” because of the organizational downsizing. TPRI still reports directly to TPC’s President, responsible for R&D, the management of applications, electric parts, and the testing and inspection of electric and fuel.